I like this idea for multiple reasons… It is easy for users, Instagram’s popularity, simple to manage and explain… but the real reason I like it is that is utilizes user generated content for the campaign. User generated content is becoming more popular in advertising but it is still a relatively untapped resource for companies and brands. Why do I like user or influencer generated content so much?
- It shows you care about your customers and what they have to say
- You are engaging with your consumers/audience
- It creates authenticity and honesty in your advertising
- Work of mouth: More likely to share content because they created it
- An emotional connection, people get excited to see their posts used
- Creates a level of transparency for the company
- People love to talk about themselves and share pics
- It is free or relatively low cost content
I could probably go on, but I think you get the idea. User generated content can be a great tool for advertising. Sure there can be some negatives to using this type of content, issues like having to monitor very closely to avoid negative or inappropriate content, what if no one shares content for the campaign, technical issues, etc. However those companies that look past these issues and take a chance on their audience can create a campaign that has a bigger impact than several traditional campaigns put together.
So if you don’t mind taking a chance and have faith in your consumers, reach out to them and see what they can do. Who knows they just might surprise you and help create one of your most powerful advertising campaigns?
Author: Gary Balakoff